October 2nd, 2007
soundtrack: The Fallen - Franz Ferdinand
Ganked off fatal_blue
BOOK MEME THING
These are the top 106 books most often marked as "unread" by LibraryThing's users (as of today). As usual, bold what you have read, italicise that you started but couldn't finish, and strike through what you couldn't stand.
Apparently I don't really hate anything. Or I hate/can't finish stuff like the Forsyte Saga (which is sad, because it's where my name came from, and the reason I hate it is that I hate my namesake for being dull and submissive...) . Anyway, lack of strike-through is making me feel a bit sad. Maybe I should try reading more Dickens, just to give myself some opportunity. And in general, kinda a poor showing. Ah well, the street book sales with their $2 second-hand 100-level english requirements should set me up eventually. Well... in between finishing off George RR Martin, anyway.
September 20th, 2007
soundtrack: I wanna be adored - The Stone Roses
Well, as of 8 minutes ago, I've turned 23 on every continent on the world (except California. Which clearly is not only it's own continent, but also solar system, universe, and ice cream flavour of mindliness. No really).
Which means that big celebrations are in order, for I am OFFICIALLY a spinster! At least, by Regency Standards, which are the only ones that matter (you can't argue with a period that makes you wear dresses that have your boobs falling out that much. Seriously). I also found a fellow Austen enthusiast today at our Neuroscience department party, and we had a good chat about the movie versions of Persuasion. And Cyclops Flies. Good times, as only biologists can have (which probably means immensely lame times by anyone else's standards).
Also, in case I don't stay up late enough to talk to you tonight, quenya_tattoo
you rock so much, thank you!!! Now I can see the lameness of my meme-ified house for reals! Actually, I'm totally reconciled to being a Baratheon now that I have G for company. Oh yeah.
Right! Bed time! Or George RR Martin time. Either way. Enjoy the Gummi Bears, folks.
September 9th, 2007
soundtrack: Mozart - 40th Symphony III - Menuet.
Man, what happened with the science marks? Clearly this is telling me I should stuck with history. Or maybe done Lit Studies on Graphic Novels ....
Ah well. At least I'm socially awkward, so I can blend into classes without looking too cool to be doing science or anything. Very relieving.
September 5th, 2007
soundtrack: Super Furry Animals - Valet Parking
If I was your first experience of kiwis, you probably already think we're all insane...
...which, although true, is possibly somewhat misleading. We are
all insane, just not usually in all the same ways as me. But one thing that the vast majority of us do tend to share insanity over is rugby. Not league, not football, not soccer, definitely
not gridiron... rugby. So right now, there are two days to go before the Rugby World Cup starts. The whole country (with the exception of my mother, and maybe some other weirdos) is kinda on edge, to see whether or not we'll finally
win again. And I mean on edge... to be honest, it's quite nice to be out of there, and not caught up in the general media stress over every single detail of every thing that's half related to the bloody game.
(Although of course I've already gone to some lengths to organise somewhere to watch it over here).
Anyway, the point of this ramble is to introduce you to this article
from the Independent (my snotty condescending British liberal newspaper of choice). I came across it this morning, and not only does it neatly encapsulate some of the NZ insanity over rugby, but it absolutely cracked me up. Read it, and know that it is all basically entirely true about us. If anything, it's an understatement.
Honestly. Losing the World Cup has consequences
in NZ. The economy crashes. Governments are changed. Periods of National Mourning (and of course, blame-games) ensue. I'm not even kidding. Well... actually yeah, mostly not kidding.
August 12th, 2007
soundtrack: The Frog Prince - Keane
Less than 24 hours till I leave home and start on the Big Journey... I'm currently stuck somewhere between melancholy, anxiety, and badly-controlled panic and frustration over trying to pack all my stuff (or at least all the stuff I want to take for the next five years... which is near enough to the same thing) into a few suitcases and boxes. Thankfully my mother is a genius with the last one though, so I think that's pretty much sorted. Just the computer left to go in, apart from the last day sponge bag type shit which will have to wait till tomorrow morning, so I guess I should probably not take too long over this entry.
...but then how would I procrastinate?
Anyway... the last month and a half or so has been kinda hectic - or at least, these last two weeks have been. But I've got through the end of work (I went in the weekend, monday and tuesday after my contract ran out, because I'm a geek), the going away party (yay for parents buying lots of nice champagne!), the final grandparent visit (which was combined with the visit to get Granny to go into respite care... an interesting few days), and the decisions about which CDs, and comics come over with me (All the CDs of course, Watchmen, Preacher, Sandman, Sin City), and the thick fantasy book for aeroplane reading (Scar Night, by Alan Campbell - I took half an hour looking through the various titles at a bookshop that I hadn't read before, and this was about the only one that stood up to flicking through to see whether the writing was horrifically genreish. I've caved already and read the first chapter, and I'm excited. A few of you will probably have it forced on you when I'm over, I think).
So... yes, this will have to stand in for a proper update, which I've been completely useless at for the last few months. Next time I talk to all of you, I'll probably be in Manhattan, trying to do one of:
a) make myself understood through a kiwi accent/or attempting to pick up a Noo Yawk one
b) stalking Bret and Jemaine
c) cashing in on Bret and Jemaine's fame by thickening up my accent...
d) hoping that my packages haven't got lost in the mail (CDs! Comics! Sexy knee-high boots! I shan't be able to live without them for long...)
e) actually doing something useful to get myself set up there. But if you guys see me, odds are that I'll be as far away from productivity as I ever am...
Right, time to put the computer down and away in the suitcase, Reenie. yes it is.
Kia Ora, folks!
July 12th, 2007
soundtrack: Ashes and Diamonds - Tiny Dancers
July 11th, 2007
soundtrack: Ray LaMontagne - Get Me A Buzz
Alright, for some reason productivity is escaping me tonight (probably because I'm a lazy bitch... but still), and I've been sitting here listening to music again (as pretty much always), pondering the recent lyrics game, that sort of thing. Anyway, it occurred to me that quite a few of the bands that are 'Reenie music' don't really lend themselves to recognising lyrics games, since they're just... yeah. Not exactly lyricists. And yet still rather recognisable, I think.
So this time around, new meme!
1. Pick 10 Artists you think of as 'yours' - your favourites, the ones that most distinguish you, whatever....
2. For each, pick a song that you really like that isn't totally obvious (i.e. no songs with the title in the first couple of lines)
3. Post the first couple of lines of lyrics up here, and a list of the 10 artists.
4. See if people can correctly match the artists to the lyrics
- Tell me where you're goin'/ or what is going wrong/ I felt you leavin' before/ you'd even gone
- Won't you set me up and show me how, its gettin' late/ All these people around me wear me out, can't concentrate
- My eyes have dried, my hands are tied/ Nothing I can say/ If you feel the need to go/ I won't stand in your way
- I got two armfuls of magazines for you/ I’ll bring em over /so hang your holiday rainbow lights in the garden
- Despair to the point till they provoke/ The punchline before they have told the joke
- Libraries gave us power/ Then work came and made us free/ But what price now for a shallow piece of dignity
- You try so hard to be cold/ You try so hard to not show/ I give you nothing to doubt, and you doubt me
- And all the poems melted/along with the sweltering sky/glass canyons shimmered empty
- You say you've got to go home/ cos he's sitting on his own again this evening/ and I know you're gonna let him bore your pants off again.
- On a highway unpaved going my way/ you're so alone today/ like a ghost town I've found
The Artist List:
Manic Street Preachers, Pulp, Black Keys, Dave Dobbyn, Gomez, Beck, Arctic Monkeys, The National, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Ray LaMontagne
Some of these should be really easy... but we'll see! Match them up (and don't look at other people's posts before doing yours.. you know... if more than one person wants to do this), and bonus points if you can name the actual songs!
Man I'm a geek.
soundtrack: National Radio News (More floods up north... arggh)
Okay, it's one of the questions in there, and I'm bored... so I've copied this on from quenya_tattoo
Copy, paste into a comment, and complete.
1.)Q. Can you cook?
2.)Q. What was your dream growing up?
3.)Q. What talent do you wish you had?
4.)Q. If I bought you a drink what would it be?
5.)Q. Favorite vegetable?
6.)Q. What was the last book you read?
7.)Q. What zodiac sign are you ?
8.)Q. Any Tattoos and/or Piercings?
9.)Q. Worst Habit?
10.)Q. If you saw me walking down the street would you offer me a ride?
11.)Q. What is your favorite memory?
12.)Q. Negative or Optimistic attitude?
13.)Q. What would you do if you were stuck in an elevator with me?
14.)Q. Worst thing to ever happen to you?
15.)Q. Tell me one weird fact about you:
16.)Q. Do you have any pets?
17.)Q. What if I showed up at your house unexpectedly?
18.)Q. What was your first impression of me?
19.)Q. What's your favorite food?
20.)Q. If you could change one thing about how you look, what would it be???
21.)Q. Would you be my crime partner or my conscience?
22.)Q. What color eyes do you have?
23.)Q. Ever been arrested?
24.)Q. Bottle or Draft?
25.)Q. If you won $10,000 today, what would you do with it?
26.)Q. Where's your favorite place to vacation?
27.)Q. What 's your favorite bar to hang at?
28.)Q. Do you believe in ghosts?
29.)Q. Favorite thing to do in your spare time?
30.)Q. Do you swear a lot?
31.)Q. Biggest pet peeve?
32.)Q. In one word, how would you describe yourself?
33.)Q. What's your middle name?
34.)Q. Will you repost this so I can fill it out?
35.)Q. Are you happy with the way your life has turned out?
July 9th, 2007
soundtrack: 300 MPH Torrential Outpour Blues - The White Stripes
For anyone who was interested in the answers... (i.e. Katey...) here we go!
1. Head Home
2. Let's Get It On -
Marvin Gaye ( quintessmiley
3. Empire -
Kasabian ( quenya_tattoo
4. Love Your Ways -
Salmonella Dub (yeah, it' s kiwi, so no one was ever going to get it)
5. High Royds -
Kaiser Chiefs ( quenya_tattoo
6. Where It's At -
Beck ( quintessmiley
7. It's Not My Place in the 9 to 5 World -
8. Gotta Know -
Supergroove (another kiwi one. But I like those lyrics, so they had to stay in)
9. The Day We Caught the Train -
Ocean Colour Scene ( quenya_tattoo
10. The Girl Who Wanted to Be God -
Manic Street Preachers ( quenya_tattoo
11. One Last Chance -
12. Filthy/Gorgeous -
Scissor Sisters ( cad27
13. Brilliant Disguise -
14. Arcade Precinct -
15. 10 AM Automatic -
The Black Keys (for shame on all of you!)
16. Buena Vista -
17. The Wanderlust -
Flogging Molly ( quenya_tattoo
18. The Scientist -
Coldplay ( doublel27
19. Femme Fatale -
20. Apartment Story -
21. Lay Down -
22. Trouble -
23. Unchained Melody -
The Righteous Brothers ( cad27
24. Quantum Theory -
25. Wake Up Alone -
Amy Winehouse ( cad27
In other news... I'm too lazy to actually write up any sort of news. Maybe later.
July 4th, 2007
soundtrack: Howling Bells - Setting Sun
Okay, since cad27
started it off again, time for another round of the lyrics game!
1. No-one seems to be around today/ They must've all gone off without me again
2. I've been really tryin', baby/ Tryin' to hold back this feelin' for so long Let's Get It On - Marvin Gaye 3. Too much information/ Well I said you're good for nothing Empire - Kasabian
4. I won't settle for second best/ I won't take nothing no less/ And you, (girl it's got to be you)
5. I remember nights out when we were young/ They weren't very good they were rubbish
- High Royds - Kaiser Chiefs
6. There's a destination a little up the road/ From the habitations and the towns we know Where It's At - Beck
7. My mom and dad are always fighting/ and it's getting very un-exciting/ to get a good job you need the proper schooling
8. I said "Please Mr. Bankman, I need 10 grand to buy me back my car/ I can't give you no cookie, but if you give me the cash I'll buy you the whole jar"
9. I never saw it as the start/ It's more a change of heart/ Rapping on the windows, whistling down the chimney pots The Day We Caught the Train - Ocean Colour Scene 10. There are no sunsets just silence/ You could see that she was true and faithless The Girl Who Wanted to Be God - Manic Street Preachers
11. In my life I don't mean much to anyone/ I've lost my way can't go back anymore
12. When you're walkin' down the street/ And the man tries to get your business/ And the people that you meet/ Want to open you up like Christmas Filthy/Gorgeous - Scissor Sisters
13. I hold you in my arms as the band plays/ What are those words whispered baby just as you turn away/ I saw you last night out on the edge of town
14. Thursday walking in the arcade precinct/ Jackie was looking so bad/ Couple of girls from the catholic school/ Turning their heads to look back
15. What about the night makes you change?/Oh from sweet to deranged
16. Wake up butterfly/ The sun's fallen down/ The clouds are rolling over/ And we still got many miles to go
17. Do you still walk the streets at night?/ With the wanderlust you fight/ Back to the corner where we went our seperate ways Wanderlust - Flogging Molly 18. Come up to meet you, Tell you I’m sorry, You don’t know how lovely you are The Scientist - Coldplay
19. Here she comes/ You'd better watch your step/ Shes going to break your heart in two, its true
20. Be still for a second while I try and try to pin your flowers on/ Can you carry my drink I have everything else
21. Well the ocean spreads out the front of my house/ If you come from north start heading down south
22. Trouble.../ Trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble/ Trouble been doggin' my soul since the day I was born
3. Oh my love/ My darling/ I hunger... hunger for your touch Unchained Melody - Righteous Brothers
24. Last night I slipped through time to a parallel dimension/ You were alive and happy/ Our children played in trees/ were strong and wise/ and knew no fear
25. It's okay in the day, I'm staying busy/ Tied up enough so I don’t have to wonder where is he/ Got so sick of crying/ so just lately Wake Up Alone - Amy Winehouse
this time, it's from my top-rated... so there's at least half a chance of knowing some of them.